Skip to content

Weekend Wind-Up

September 3, 2013

Well this past weekend could have gone better.
Wait, let me rephrase.
This past weekend could have ended better.
Yes, that works.

It started off just grand! We packed ourselves up early Saturday morning and set off on the three hour drive to A’s parents. Molly was a gem in the car! She was awake for a bit, slept for a bit, and then awake for the last 45 min or so with no fuss. We have her forward facing now and that makes all the difference in the world I think.
We arrived safe and sound, settled ourselves in and just chilled for the afternoon with the family (all were in attendance). After burgers for dinner, we put Molly down to bed and settled in for a rousing game of In or Out (a card game). We went to bed and then things took a turn for the worse. Molly woke at 1:30 and couldn’t settle back on her own until 4! (We found out the next morning that A’s sister J had been up around the same time with the stomach flu…you might be able to see where this story is headed). Molly slept for an hour and was up again at 5, at which point I said screw it and tried having her sleep in bed with us. That seemed to do the trick, once I was able to roll her off me without her trying to climb back on (I felt like an ape).
Needless to say I was extremely tired and grumpy on Saturday. But I pulled myself together and we all headed up to the cottage for a bit. The weather was nice but not super hot, which made swimming not so fun. A and I decided to pack Molly up at nap time and headed to a local tourist town for a bit of shopping and ice cream.
And that was the last time I felt good.
I was feeling kind of ‘meh’ during dinner, but chalked it up to being so tired. A hustled me off to bed at 9 and we were both blissfully asleep for an hour before the proverbial poop hit the fan. I don’t even know what time it was when I woke but I had to race to the bathroom. It appears I was the next victim of the stomach bugs wrath. For the next four hours I was at it’s mercy. At one point I remember A saying “oh god, it’s only 11:30!”
Molly slept through most of it, but woke at 2:30. After a quick nurse, A rocked her back to sleep.
We had a few hours of sleep before she woke for good at 6:30. And then A got hit.
Guys, we were in rough shape. A’s family watched Molly while we crashed for a bit but as nap time neared, we decided to pack up and head home. Fortified with Pepto Bismal, Gravol, Tylenol and Gatorade, we somehow got home with no fuss. Molly slept most of the way, which should have been a sign to me of things to come but I held onto hope that she would escape it.
We got home and my mom saved us (and risked exposing herself) by coming over to watch the baby so we could sleep for a few hours.
We had chicken noodle soup for dinner and managed to bathe and get Molly to bed at a decent time, at which point we went to bed too.
An hour after we turned off the light, I woke to the sound of Molly crying and throwing up. My poor baby had caught the bug :-(. It passed through her within a couple of hours thank goodness, but we had several wardrobe and bed changes before it stopped. She was awake frequently after that, but with no more issues. I’m just thankful that I was feeling better by the time she got hit! I don’t know how I would have managed if we’d been sick at the same time.

I stayed home with her today, not wanting to risk exposing my mom even more and also to make sure she nurses a lot. And it gives me the chance to rest a bit more 🙂 We had a blissful two hour nap this morning and Molly had another almost two hour nap this afternoon. You know she’s not feeling well when…

And so there is our long weekend, the last one of summer. It started out promising but the ending we could have done without.

I hope everyone else fared a bit better and that those with kiddies had a great first day back to school! We’re particularly proud of our nieces CJ and little A who are off to junior kindergarten for the first time! When did they grow up?

Happy Tuesday!

2 Comments leave one →
  1. September 3, 2013 10:20 pm

    Oh no! Hope everyone is better.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: